.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Mutualist Blog: Free Market Anti-Capitalism

To dissolve, submerge, and cause to disappear the political or governmental system in the economic system by reducing, simplifying, decentralizing and suppressing, one after another, all the wheels of this great machine, which is called the Government or the State. --Proudhon, General Idea of the Revolution

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northwest Arkansas, United States

Friday, July 01, 2005

Meme Boomerang

Egad! I've been book tagged--again! Just a few weeks after the last time. This time it's fellow Un-Capitalist Red Harvest. Reminds me of that Three Stooges scene where Curly keeps trying to throw away a boomerang.

But what the hell--I'll be a sport.

1) Number of books I own. Somewhere over a thousand, although it's hard to say with so many boxed up.

2) Last book I bought. Paul Sweezy's The Theory of Capitalist Development and Mel Bartholomew's Square Foot Gardening.

3) Last book I read. Currently re-reading David Noble's Forces of Production for my ongoing research project, and reading Vonnegut's Deadeye Dick for fun. BTW, here's a great limerick from the latter:

There was a young man from Dundee
Who buggered an ape in a tree.
The offspring was horrid,
All ass and no forehead,
Three balls and a purple goatee.

4) Books that mean a lot to me. These are the ones I listed last time:

Kirkpatrick Sale. Human Scale.
Benjamin Tucker. Instead of a Book.
David DeLeon. The American as Anarchist.
Harry C. Boyte. The Backyard Revolution: Understanding the New Citizen Movement.
Henry J. Silverman, ed. American Radical Thought: The Libertarian Tradition.

I don't know if I should try to think of five more. But I've been weeding and mulching all day, so I'm too tired to think straight. I will add R.A. Wilson's and Robert Shea's The Illuminatus! Trilogy. Hmmm.... and maybe Karl Hess' Community Technology. I'll probably think of more after I get this posted. Oh, yeah--Hilaire Belloc's The Servile State.

5) Tag five others. Eh, I'm on meme strike. Maybe if I don't pass it on this time, I won't fall victim to the law of karmic return.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought Square Foot Gardening this past winter in a fit of spring fever. It was a good antidote.

Too bad it's completely useless to me, as I own no land. Some day, perhaps.

July 01, 2005 8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't happen to know where we can find Hilaire Belloc's "The Servile State" on the internet, do you? In my googling I keep finding other stuff of his, and somewhat related stuff of G.K.Chesterton's, but not that. Maybe there's some reason it hasn't been made available yet? Since you've got it yourself it could even be a project for you to provide it as a resource, at least if you've got access to scanning facilities (hint, hint).

July 01, 2005 11:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is somebody looking for The Servile State? Well, here you go!

July 02, 2005 1:08 AM  
Blogger The Continental Op said...

Sorry to have infected you for a second time!

July 02, 2005 9:39 AM  
Blogger Kevin Carson said...

Hey, no problem. It gave me a chance to recommend three more books.

July 02, 2005 6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home