.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Mutualist Blog: Free Market Anti-Capitalism

To dissolve, submerge, and cause to disappear the political or governmental system in the economic system by reducing, simplifying, decentralizing and suppressing, one after another, all the wheels of this great machine, which is called the Government or the State. --Proudhon, General Idea of the Revolution

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northwest Arkansas, United States

Friday, April 18, 2008

Revised Chapter Four Draft

This is a considerably rearranged and expanded (about 50% longer) version of Chapter Four of the org theory manuscript.

Chapter Four. Systemic Effects of State-Induced Economic Centralization and Large Organizational Size

It includes a lengthy section on the rise of the New Middle Class and its effect on institutional culture.

2 Comments:

Blogger Daniel Roncari said...

Hi Kevin,

I find your work very interesting and thought-provoking (I highly enjoyed reading your Studies in Mutualist Political Economy).

One criticism I have of your work, solely with regard to style, is your heavy use of block quotes. While many of the excerpts you provide are informative, I think that relying of them with such frequency can be distracting and tedious at times. From briefly skimming this chapter, I see that you are making frequent use of them here too.

Have you considered simply paraphrasing the points of the authors you are quoting? I think doing so might make your writing more fluid.

April 19, 2008 9:53 PM  
Blogger Kevin Carson said...

Thanks for the comment, Daniel. Actually, I've often had the feeling that the blockquoted passages might be excessive. It's sort of a dilemma for me, though. Usually, when I use a block quote it's because it sums up the author's point more eloquently than I could paraphrase it (the rest of the time, it's because it damns them out of their own mouth). When I do the final edit before submitting the ms for publication, I'll read it with (among other things) the possibility in mind of cutting down unnecessary block quotes.

April 21, 2008 6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home