.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Mutualist Blog: Free Market Anti-Capitalism

To dissolve, submerge, and cause to disappear the political or governmental system in the economic system by reducing, simplifying, decentralizing and suppressing, one after another, all the wheels of this great machine, which is called the Government or the State. --Proudhon, General Idea of the Revolution

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northwest Arkansas, United States

Monday, March 06, 2006

Caught in the Crossfire

I've been hit at least two times that I know of [update--make that three], so I feel kind of like JFK in R.A. Wilson's version of the assassination.

4 Jobs I've Had:
Chicken plant cut-up line
Nursing home orderly
Pizza delivery
Grad assistant

4 Movies I Can Watch Over And Over:
The Matrix (part one only)
The Crow
Brazil
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

4 Places I've Lived:
Springdale, Ark.
College Station, Tx
Lowell, Ark.
Fayetteville, Ark.

4 TV Shows I Love:
Seinfeld
Northern Exposure
Gilmore Girls
Simpsons

4 Highly Regarded And Recommended Shows I Haven't Seen (much of):
Firefly
The Daily Show (Comedy Central is fuzzy on my cable)
Monk
About the only other shows I'm aware of are dreck that I hear about all the time because people are idiots (e.g., American Idol).

4 Places I've Vacationed:
Silver Dollar City
Tulsa
Fresno

4 Favorite Dishes:
Calamari
India pale ale
Broccoli-rice casserole
Portobello burgers

4 Sites I Visit Daily:
I'm not very organized about visiting any site on a daily basis. I usually get around to each one about one every week or so and catch up on what I've missed. The sites I visit more frequently are blogs like Reason Hit&Run that have a high volume of daily posts--I like to catch stuff before it moves off the front page. But there are so many excellent blogs I visit regularly just so I don't miss the high quality commentary, I hate to single out just four.


4 Places I'd Rather Be Right Now:

Actually, this ain't so bad right now. Any time I'm not in my shithole of a job, I'm pretty happy. If it was hot summer, I'd like to be in northern New England or the Pacific Northwest, or something.

4 New Bloggers I'm Tagging:
Just about everybody who hasn't already been hit this time around, I hit with one of the earlier ones. So I guess I'll let it slide.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sheldon Richman said...

A fellow Brazil aficionado! Somehow I knew it. Now if I can just get my wife to sit through it.

March 07, 2006 4:36 AM  
Blogger Kevin Carson said...

It used to be the house version sold by Ozark Brewing Company, the local brew pub. When Hog Haus Brewery took over the OBC site, they discontinued the IPA. But they've got something similar called Pale Rider--a little less hoppier and more full-bodied.

I occasionally brew my own 5-gallon batch of IPA.

March 07, 2006 8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For quite some tiem I've had the thought in my head to try to brew my own beer, but I always got stuck on two questions: How would I do it "right", and how much would it cost to do it "right"?

The kind I wanted to do would be like a cross between some ghetto-type brew & something like a Guinness. Relatively high alcohol content but with actual flavor.

March 08, 2006 4:15 PM  
Blogger Kevin Carson said...

It's pretty cheap if you cut corners like I do. Buy one of those 5-gallon deposit bottles of spring water like they sell for water coolers, and use it for a fermenter. You can use the water for making your beer. I reuse the bottle and wash it between uses with boiling water and a little bleach, and I've never had an infected batch. But if you prefer to get a new jug every time, it's only a few $$.

I also don't have a hygrometer. I just wait until it completely stops fermenting, bottle it (I save 1 and 2-liter plastic grape juice bottles, because they seal nicely) and add a little malt sugar by rule of thumb to carbonate it. Depending on how much you're willing to spend for ingredients, your final cost will be anywhere from fifty cents to $1 per pint--not much more, if any, than crappy mass market beer from the liquor store. And a lot less cheap than the craft beers they sell in the brew pubs. (Of course, the liquor licensing systm may have something to do with that).

March 09, 2006 11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home