.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Mutualist Blog: Free Market Anti-Capitalism

To dissolve, submerge, and cause to disappear the political or governmental system in the economic system by reducing, simplifying, decentralizing and suppressing, one after another, all the wheels of this great machine, which is called the Government or the State. --Proudhon, General Idea of the Revolution

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northwest Arkansas, United States

Thursday, March 03, 2005

Jeffersonian Democrats

(Via the Democratic Freedom Caucus' email list):

Excerpt from the DFC Missouri chapter's press release, written by Thomas L. Knapp:

"We advocate tax cuts and ending welfare," says Thomas Knapp, 38, of St. Louis, a member of the new DFC affiliate. "But we tend to favor cutting taxes from the bottom up instead of from the top down, and to place a higher priority on ending corporate welfare than on ending the food stamp program for the working poor."

Hot damn! I hope more Jeffersonian Democrats of that sort come out of the woodwork, and soon. I'm sick of a Democratic Party establishment that seems to think its only viable alternatives are either elitist social engineers like Ted Kennedy, or GOP-lite bukakkists like Joe Lieberman. I'm also sick of the kind of libertarian who gives people reason to dismiss us as pot-smoking Republicans, and the kind of Republican whose idea of the "free market" is "What's good for General Motors...."

4 Comments:

Blogger freeman said...

I'm plenty sick of those various groups too!

I can only hope that some of the younger left-liberals who are enticed by people like Dennis Kucinich and Ralph Nader will eventually see the light and begin to embrace free markets and decentralization. This kind of shift will require plenty of criticism hurled at the vulgar liberarian crowd, and I'm glad that a tiny, but hopefully growing, contingent of people are doing so. I'm especially grateful that a blog like yours exists to educate people, myself included (it wasn't very long ago at all that I was one of those Kucinich admirers).

By the way, nice job with the "GOP-lite bukakkists" comment! I may have to use that one sometime.

March 03, 2005 6:54 PM  
Blogger Thomas L. Knapp said...

Kevin,

Glad you like the "cutting taxes from the bottom up" quote. Three guesses who I got it from? I explicitly credit one Kevin Carson with it in my "Different Kind of Democratic Budget Proposal" over on FreeMarketNews.Com.

Regards,
Tom Knapp

March 04, 2005 1:09 AM  
Blogger DevP said...

YOU SIR ARE AWESOME

March 04, 2005 6:37 AM  
Blogger Kevin Carson said...

I was hoping the "bukkakist" thing would go over well; every time I hear Holy Joe give that throw-away line about "doing what's right" at the beginning of the O'Reilly radio show, I wish I could reach in there and slap the shapeless mass of fleshy tissue he calls a mouth. It's funny how his idea of "the right thing" always winds up being whatever the financial services and drug industries want him to do.

During the Dem primary campaign, I remember him criticizing Dean's "extreme" position on Iraq and then saying "I'm the one candidate up here who can stand toe-to-toe and debate Bush on foreign policy." Bush would probably have thought he was staring in a mirror, like in that routine Lucy did with Harpo Marx.

Tom,

I'm honored. I assumed it was just a case of great minds thinking alike.

March 04, 2005 11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home